About this website
Welcome to my website! I’m Michael Beijer, Dutch-English technical/patent translator & terminologist with over 25 years of experience working in the European translation industry. I provide well-researched, fluent translations from Dutch into English. I also offer English to Dutch, but only if patent-related. Although I’m at home in a wide range of fields – ranging from user manuals and audit reports to contracts and articles of association – most of my work currently consists of patents and technical material.
I keep up to date with the latest developments in the translation industry by actively participating in a wide range of online forums, mailing lists and blogs, and subscribe to various professional journals, magazines, and newsletters. I am also very active in the Proz.com forums, where I am often among the top ‘KudoZ point leaders’ in my language pair, helping both newbies and industry experts with tricky terms and CAT tool tips. That is, CPD comes naturally to me.
If you’re looking for a translator with over 25 years of experience, exceptional research skills and expertise in the field of cutting-edge translation & terminology technologies, you’ve come to the right place!
Correct and consistent terminology is particularly important in technical translation. I therefore maintain an extensive (mainly Dutch-English) terminology collection on my computer and on my bookshelves. After many years of experimenting with different formats, I recently decided to keep track of all of this information in this wiki (which runs on MediaWiki, the same software used by Wikipedia).
If you’re researching a pesky term, you have several options:
- Consult the many terms I have researched via Terms
- Browse my ‘Wordbook’ collection of dictionaries, glossaries, websites, etc.
- Consult the various categories I use to organise Beijerpedia.com via Categories & Category trees
Often, the fastest way to find something is to simply use the search box above!
I’m comfortable working with a wide range of CAT tools, including memoQ, SDL Studio, Wordfast, Déjà Vu X3, CafeTran, Memsource, and MateCat and can easily handle their various file formats / packages.
See CAT tools for an overview of the various CAT tools available in our industry (past and present).
- I can translate out of Belgian Dutch (commonly referred to as ‘Flemish’) or ‘Dutch Dutch’, and can translate into either UK or US English.
- Please note that I use this wiki as a scratchpad of sorts so a lot of the content may be in flux, unfinished, or just plain wrong. You have been warned.